Question - Luke 4
Jesus confronts the demonic
(Casting out demons)
Luke 4: 31 - 44
After returning from the temptations in the wilderness Jesus continued in ministering life and healing to the multitude of people around. It was not long before the demonic realm once again confronted him.
Jesus was never defeated by the powers of darkness. He had no problem in stamping His authority over them. His death and resurrection has ensured that we too have the same authority over the powers of darkness (Ephesians 1: 20 - 23, Colossians 2: 14 - 15).
As Christian we do not need to fear the powers of darkness. We should be aware of the demonic activity that goes on around us. Christ has given us the authority to deal with the demonic activity that will come up against us. As you look at the life of Jesus pay attention to how he dealt with the demonic opposition. You will learn a lot from it.
Notice that the first case happened as he was preaching in the church.
How bold of a demon to pop around for Sunday service!
I wonder if they still do so today?
- How did Jesus know that the man who cried out had a demon?
Luke 4: 33 - 34, 1 Corinthians 12:10
- What action did Jesus take with the demon?
- What are some of the symptoms of demonic activity? Mention at least four
Luke 7: 33, Luke 9: 37 - 42, 1 Timothy 4: 1 - 4, James 3: 13 - 15
- Have you ever discerned the activity of the demonic in your life or circumstances?
- How should we deal with demonic activity?
- How did demons get to be with us?
Isaiah 14: 12 - 17
- The names that the Bible calls satan and his demonic forces help reveal certain characteristics of the enemy. What do the names in the following scriptures tell us about satan?
James 4:7, Ephesians 6:16, 1 Thessalonians 3:5, 2 Corinthians 4:4, John 12:31. Ephesians 2: 21
- What was the general approach of Jesus to the demonic oppression in people's life?
- How can we guide against the attacks of satan over our life?
Ephesians 6: 10 - 17