As we take a closer look at several of the parables of our Lord Jesus Christ as mentioned in the Gospel of Luke keep your heart open to understand the hidden meaning behind these parables.
Some of the parables contain truths that are glaring at us. While others will take deeper thought, prayer and meditation to reveal they're hidden meaning. We will look at some of the parables whose meanings are not all obvious.
Make it your prayer that God will open your eyes to understand and your heart to perceive the truths He has in store for you from His Word today.
Jesus has an interest in our financial welbeing. However, our Lord is very disturbed when our financial priorities take our focus off Him.
Please ponder the following questions very carefully before answering them.
1. What does verse 13 - 15 tell you about the importance that riches played in the life of the man who spoke to Jesus from the crowd?
2. According to verse 17, the riches of the rich man affected his heart.
How can riches affect our heart negatively?
3. How can we be rich towards God? Verse 21
4. Is it wrong to be rich?
Who will you serve?
1. Why do you think the father gave the younger son his inheritance, when in all probability, he knew the son was going the plunder it?
2. Why does God allow us to make our own choices?
3. What was the younger son's first response to his dilemma? (Verses 14 - 16)
4. What wrong steps do we often take when we discover we have made a mistake?
5. The younger son eventually had a change of attitude of heart. He owned up to his errors and made a decision to change (verse 18). What can we
learn about repentance from verses 18 - 20? There are several salient points hidden in these verses.
6. What do verses 21 - 24 tell us about the father?
7. The older son was not too pleased with his father's generosity. What approach do you think you would have taken if you were the older son?
Would you have been annoyed or as forgiving as the father?
8. If all the father's wealth also belonged to the older son (see verse 31), why hadn't the older son been enjoying it more?
9. Can you think of any 'spiritual blessings' that God has in store for you that you might not have been enjoying?
10. Share some of the things you have learnt from this study?